Friday, October 16, 2015

WIP Progress update!

Hey my friends! I've been a little MIA from my blog the last couple of weeks. We went on a little family trip and I just wasn't ready to post anything but I'm here today and I have somethings to share!


First! If you follow me on instagram (@emilylaraesews) you saw me post last Friday that it was a day nearly as good as Christmas, pick up quilts from the quilter day! I dropped off two and my mom dropped off one and it was so exciting to get them back and run my hands down them. You know you do that too.

So here they are!

First is my Winter Wonderland quilt. (I talked about it more here). My mom offered to get this one quilted for me for my birthday. She was tired of knowing it was sitting in my closet just as much as I was! I picked a swirling snowflake pattern, it just seemed fitting, and it turned out AMAZING! Even better than I had hoped it would! For the backing, I used a print from Hello Darling by Bonnie and Camille. I'm a sucker for their fabrics and the red was just too good to pass up! Now I just have to decide what to bind it with. A solid? A stripe? The left over backing fabric (which I've pretty much ruled out, that seems too boring.) Basically, I'll take any suggestions at this point!





 Next up is a quilt my mom did. Its the perfect 10 pattern from Swirly Girls. When I say that my mom did it, I really mean that I did almost all of it. I cut it out and laid it out and did the majority of the sewing. My mom helped piece some of it and put the borders on. Oh and she paid for the fabric. Apparently, I have zero skill in the center the quilt in the frame department, but here it is. It is bright and cheery and whimsical and so much fun! My mom decided to have a swirly Christmas tree as the quilting pattern and it fits the feel of the quilt just perfectly! I'm sure my kids will be snuggling under it this Christmas season.





Lastly, but certain not least! Is this fabulously cute Fireworks quilt I made using Art Gallery fabric. I hadn't ever really used Art Gallery before but I'm hooked. Its just so smooth and high quality. I had to replace my needle because it was just a little too dull to sew with! I've never made a quilt with so.many.points. before and my blocks definitely got progressively better as I went on. Some of them I'm even really pleased with! I couldn't resist using the butterflies on the back. I'm thinking this quilt will be on my daughters big girl bed. So perfect! I picked a loopy quilting pattern for this one and I adore it. Seriously. Too good.



Have you made it this far? okay!

Next I've been working on a Modern Maple quilt. Originally I had wanted to get it done in time for fall but since fall is now strongly upon us, I guess its going to be done for next fall! Ha! A long while back, I bought a bunch of Flea Market Fancy fat quarters. I bought them with the intent to make the perfect ten quilt, but then started doubting that choice (are you sensing a theme in my quilting?) so it went in the bin of pretty fabric. Well, I saw a bunch of maple quilts and knew that was my pretty fabric's destiny! So here are the 7 blocks I have done now! I need to have 16 of the large (12 inch) blocks and 36 or the small (6 inch) blocks. I got settled on a layout that I liked and then I realized that it is pretty much identical to a layout that Lori Holt has in her book Farmgirl Vintage. So! that is exciting, and I'm really looking forward to getting it done!

So that means my round up of things to finish:

bind winter wonderland
bind fireworks
finish blocks of modern maples
hello darling fireworks quilt


Looking forward to it!!

Wip Wednesday

11 comments:

  1. Ok..impressive. I just finished a Firework quilt as well. I did find that the blocks got progressively easier as I went along. I do wish I changed out the center fabric as you did for each block. Do you send out your quilts for quilting? I have an older Bernina with a small throat space that makes it difficult to finish larger quilts. Great finishes! Looking forward to seeing your leaf quilt:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I'm sort of a sucker for all of the Thimble Blossom patterns. It seems like they all have lots of points and I really like the look of them! I have a local quilter that I send my quilts to, and she does fabulous work. I've quilted a few on my very small Brother machine but they are always sort of a challenge to wrestle through. Thanks for stopping by!!!

      Delete
  2. Emily! Your quilts are beautiful!! I am so envious of your Winter Wonderland quilt! We are featuring your quilt over on the FWFS blog tomorrow! Thank you for stopping by and linking up!

    Lindsey

    http://fortworthfabricstudio.blogspot.com/2015/10/fabric-frenzy-friday-features_17.html

    ReplyDelete
  3. One of these Winter Wonderland quilts is on my Bucket List! You've done a beautiful job embroidering yours and I love how you've framed it with the red and white quilt blocks.

    The Christmas quilt that you and your mom collaborated on will be a fun one to cuddle under come Christmas time.

    You made a great choice for the backing of your Fireworks quilt as it picks up beautifully on all the different colors of the blocks on the front.

    Have fun completing your Maple Leaf blocks!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I say go for the Winter Wonderland! its fun and so rewarding once it is finished. Thanks for stopping by!

      Delete
  4. The fireworks quilt is stunning, I'm a little bit envious! I wish we had better/affordable access to long arm quilters here

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much! It was a fun (albeit slightly tedious) quilt to make and I LOVE how it turned out! I've been so thrilled with the quilter I found! a good one is hard to come by!

      Delete
  5. You do beautiful work! I especially love the quilt with all the embroidery.

    ReplyDelete
  6. all amazing, but your winter wonderland makes me want to do some embroidery!!! love!

    ReplyDelete

I love your comments! Thank you!