Thursday, September 10, 2015

The Tale of the Never Ending Quilt





One day, a long time ago, I was wandering through my local quilt shop. It was just after Christmas and all of their holiday fabric and patterns were on sale. I casually looked through their merchandise and then I saw it! The quilt I'd seen made before and thought how lovely it was. It was on sale for 60% off! Of course I had to buy it! And I put it in my pattern box, never to be remembered again, until one day in July. I was talking to my grandma and told her that I had this quilt I wanted to sew, it was sort of intimidating to me though and I wasn't sure that I was brave enough to take it on. One of us suggested that we sew it together! We could get together once a week and work on cutting out our blocks and piecing them. Serve as motivation for each other, to help make sure it got finished. We picked out the fabric, and got all the stars sewn. Then came the embroidery. I did a couple of panels and in the same time my grandmother decided she didn't want to embroider, but would rather use a fabric pen and draw the panels. Hers was finished quickly, mine was not. I slowly lost the motivation to finish my quilt and it ended up in The Pile. The Pile Where Projects Go to Die is actually the official term for it. This was in 2011. Then, one day in 2013, I was one million months pregnant and nesting fiercely. I stumbled upon my long forgotten Christmas quilt and during the long winter nights, while my husband was working, I slowly finished the last embroidery panel for my quilt.

Please note my pregnant tummy


 I got all the panel pieces put together and trimmed and threw myself a little party! I attached the star boarder and returned the quilt to The Pile. I didn't have money to send her to a quilter and in my millionth month of pregnancy, already didn't have the energy to quilt it at home.

Well. I was talking with my mom and she asked me if I would like to have my beautiful quilt finished off for my birthday! Of course the answer was yes!!! So I retrieved that quilt once again from The Pile, ironed her out and started searching for a backing. I settled on the red floral print from Bonnie and Camille's newest line Hello Darling and I am over the moon excited to see how it turns out! It is currently at the quilter now and I'm very impatiently waiting for her notice to come and pick it up!

So, in the meantime. Here is a shot of my lovely Winter Wonderland quilt (pattern from Crabapple Hill) just the other day before I sent her off to be finished. I love all that this quilt means to me now. Precious time spent with my grandma putting it together, and embroidering the panels while my baby girl was still a part of me. And isn't that what quilting is all about? Preserving memories and bringing happiness? I certainly think so!




I'm linking up!

http://www.estheraliu.blogspot.com/2015/09/wow-omas-blues-quilting-ideas.html
Fabric Tuesday
Pet Project

4 comments:

  1. I definitely agree that quilts are a good way to preserve memories :)
    Sandra

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautiful quilt filled with memories!
    Have a nice day,
    groetjes van Marijke

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have been one million months pregnant, too. That was a long time ago, but some things you never forget. Congratulations on the beautiful finish.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Absolutely,positively, worth finishing. You and the new person are going to have the best memories with this quilt. You will tell the story of her mom and great grandmother, then she will tell the story and so on through the years. It is lovely.

    ReplyDelete

I love your comments! Thank you!