Tuesday, October 27, 2015

Modern Maples

I am checking in with something new to show off! I'm so excited to say that my Modern Maples quilt top is finished! I don't think there is anything more rewarding than sewing that final seam and doing one final press!

This quilt was sort of ambitious for me. I found the block instructions and then decided on a layout all on my own. I even used graph paper to get it all worked out! There were so many blocks to sew! Sixteen blocks that are twelve inches finished and 36 blocks that are six inches finished. I suppose the fact that there were lots of blocks to sew wasn't the hardest part, it was the number of half square triangles that needed trimming.

I finished sewing it all and glanced at my thread...

...couldn't have worked out better. Is there anything worse than running out of thread when you have less than 15 inches of sewing left on a project? There isn't. 

Anyway, I finished up right before we were supposed be walking out the door for a playdate, so I had my son hurry and help snap a couple of pictures of the finished project. Side note: He'll be five next month! And while I love having such a helpful little friend, my heart is also breaking that he is getting so big! 



I especially love the dotted background I used. I think it adds a little interest without being too busy! And while this one certainly won't be ready to use this fall, it will be for next year! I can't wait!

Linking up!
www.blossomheartquilts.com

31 comments:

  1. Love the fabric choices you made for this one. I agree that the small dots add interest to the quilt! Congrats on a fun and beautiful finish!

    ReplyDelete
  2. So pretty! I specially love the photo of the quilt under the tree amongst the fallen leaves.

    -Soma

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I thought the leaves were fitting! The trees are all so gorgeous right now, I couldn't resist!

      Delete
  3. What a lovely finish and such a modern twist on that block - beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lovely quilt! And great photos! ... that your son took?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! He took the photo of me holding the quilt, I was pretty impressed of how well they turned out! Such a cute little helper!

      Delete
  5. What a gorgeous quilt top!! So appropriate for fall :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love this! Flea market fancy will always be one of my favorite collections and I love how it mixes with other fabrics here! Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  7. This turned out really fantastic! I love your fabric use. :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Love the colors and layout...and that you used graph paper to organize it! Beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Lovely quilt Emily! I adore your fabric choices! We featured your quilt over on the FWFS blog! Thank you for stopping by and linking up!

    http://fortworthfabricstudio.blogspot.com/2015/11/fabric-frenzy-friday-features.html

    ReplyDelete
  10. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  11. This is really fun. Have you decided how you want to quilt it yet?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thanks! I am thinking an overall swirl pattern, like blowing wind! I haven't totally decided for sure though!

      Delete
  12. Wow, Emily! This is so pretty! Love the fabrics you chose and especially the dotty background. Your little helper took a great photo. Hope you guys had fun at your play date!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Absolutely love this quilt...fall is my favorite season & I have been looking for a perfect pattern. Would you mind sharing where you got this pattern?
    Thank you, Nancy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I got this pattern from google! Ha! I just searched until I found one that I really liked and just modified it to work for my 12 and 6 inch sizes!

      Delete
  14. Absolutely adore your layout- how did you piece the blocks?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If you look close you can tell that it is in four big square sections. I had to do a y-seam to get each square together. I actually think this pattern is pretty much the same as Lori Holts "Picnic" layout from her book Farmgirl Vintage. If you can get your hands on that she shows how to put it together. Sorry I couldn't be more help than that!

      Delete
  15. Absolutely adore your layout- how did you piece the blocks?

    ReplyDelete

I love your comments! Thank you!