Saturday, August 31, 2013

Roasted Cauliflower and Cheddar Soup

Now. If you are like me, you really want to incorporate more produce into your cooking. If you are like me, you don't do so hot most of the time.

In an effort to keep my pregnancy weight gain down, and maintain a healthy lifestyle during and after pregnancy and help my family do the same, I like to try new dishes.

This is one that I came across a couple months ago and I think I've made it 3-4 times since. I realllllly like it. Husband likes it too and we can even get Liam to take a few bites when we make it. Baby steps.

The thing I like the most about this soup is that there is no cream in it but it is really creamy and has a good texture that tricks you a little bit. Its mostly vegetables. The other thing that really makes it a winner is that I usually have all the ingredients and they usually realllly need to be used before they go bad and I throw them away.

So, heres how you make it.

Take an onion and some celery and throw it in a soup pot. Add some chicken broth or stock or vegetable broth if you wanna go the vegetarian route. Get that boiling and then let it simmer. (don't mind my wilty looking celery, like I said, it realllly needed to be used.)



Meanwhile chop up a head of cauliflower into florets. I usually cut them just a little more. Also, peel a couple cloves of garlic and throw it all in a bowl with some olive oil. Mix it all up so its coated and the pour it out on a baking sheet. I like to cover it with salt, pepper and maybe some thyme.



 Put it in the oven and let it roast for 20-25 minutes until the cauliflower is a nice brown color.


Sometimes this is the only step I do and I eat the cauliflower as my meal. It is seriously so yummy, it gets kind of caramelized and crispy and tastes super yum.


Then put your roasted veggies in the soup pot and let it all simmer together for a while. I just wait until its all soft and tender. Then blend it all up with an immersion blender or food processor or anything that will make it smooth.



Add in your shredded cheese and let it melt and enjoy.




YUM!

Here is the recipe I follow. I hope you try it. Let me know if you do!!

1 comment:

I love your comments! Thank you!