Thursday, August 29, 2013

The evolution of a bathroom.

When we bought our house, it was cringe inducing.

It was smelly.

And dirty.

And gross.

BUT

It was ours.

Well. Our master bathroom has never been my favorite. It had carpet. It has a blue sink. And white/blue speckled tile in the shower. And this almost pretty counter top that is unfortunately lined in less than appealing tile. It had carpet.  And the medicine cabinet was old and a corner mount and rusty. And the light fixture was ugly. Did I mention that it was carpeted? CARPET. In the bathroom. Where it gets wet.

*shudder*

Overall, if you can't tell, there really wasn't anything I like about it.

In fact, here is a post I wrote when I very first started fixing it up. Remember now?

Well. The next month we picked up some toilets at Home Depot because our city was offering a rebate that would make them free. Well one thing led to another and suddenly our bathroom looked like this:


 We discovered, in ripping out the old toilet, that it had been leaking a little and the subfloor needed to dry out. So out came the linoleum and carpet (darn) and in came tile! the new toilet and new tile and new baseboards did much to help the sad state of the bathroom. Much. And I even decided to paint the bathroom while we were at it.

apparently this is the only picture i took after we laid the tile?



Now the paint color would have been FANTASTIC if this is how it actually looked in real life. It didn't. It was VERY blue. And very much not what I wanted in a grey paint. But I lived with it for almost 1.5 years.

Then one day I stumbled on a light fixture on clearance on Lowes. It was like 75% off. You know that came home with me and I even installed it by myself. Now my dad is not a particularly handy man when it comes to home repairs, but he did teach me how to install light fixtures. So thanks dad! I put it up and it looked AWESOME.


And then I didn't do anything else in the bathroom. I'm sure I decided to do some other big project and I promised Darrell I was done for a while. Sorry honey, that never happens. I know. And I got the itch to do it again.












And I love it!!!!! It isn't quite done yet, but here are the things we did:

  • Paint the ceiling
  • Added wainscoting to the walls 
  • Removed dated toilet paper holder
  • patched wall
  • installed new toilet paper holder
  • removed old medicine cabinet
  • removed sheet of mirror
  • painted the walls
  • painted wainscoting (a million coats of white)
  • glued mirror back onto wall
  • installed new curtain bar
We are soooo close to being done, just budget restraints are holding us back. We still need to:


  • paint at least one more coat of white on everything
  • i'd like to paint the door because now that everything has a fresh coat of white, it looks a little dingy
  • caulk ALL the boards
  • purchase and install new medicine cabinet
  • frame out the mirror on the wall
I think thats all that is left. Ultimately, we would love to take out the whole vanity, run tile all the way under it and put in a new vanity and sink that are a little more fresh and modern. We'd also like to demo the shower and bump out the wall behind it so it was deeper and less closet like and then add more modern and classic tile.

Until then though, I think I've got it just about where I want it for now. Hopefully I'll be able to get it completely done very soon. I'll try to let y'all know if/when that happens. 















1 comment:

I love your comments! Thank you!